Pretty much every single small business is guilty of listing the features of their product or service in their marketing… c’mon… you probably are too 😉
Features are factual statements such as:
- Batteries included
- Open 24 hours
- Fully equipped studio
But features aren’t what drives your clients to buy. Features simply get you on the list of possibilities. Features are important, but you must share why that feature has value.
Then it becomes a benefit. And the benefits are what gets your clients to buy.
Benefits answers the question “what’s in it for me?"
- Batteries included means that you can use the product straight out of the box
- Open 24 hours means you can shop anytime
- Fully equipped studio means that your session can be different every time
Benefits can also be results.
When you try to sell based on the features, you are making the customer do all the work to figure out whether they want that feature and why it is valuable.
But, you are the expert. To be able to sell your services you must make the connection for them.
- Batteries included means you'll never disappoint your 4 year old because you have no batteries.
- Open 24 hours means that you can stop by to pick up ice cream at 11pm or milk at 6am.
- Fully equipped studio means that your teachers are comprehensively trained to create a fully customized workout for each individual client to keep them challenged and making progress! (<<You can use this if you like!)
To effectively use this technique, you have to understand your clients. What do they seek from you? What concerns do they have? How can you connect features to results AND where does this overlap with that they want? This is the real sweet-spot.
Be mindful that if you are selling from within your perspective, you are going to automatically fill in the blanks. A brand new client knows nothing about you or what you do - they can’t make the connections like you can. You have seen it before - you know the results and benefits. Therefore, it’s on you to tell them.
When you use this approach to market your services - what you say will truly resonate and your clients will recognize the solution to their need in you... And then, your job to sell your services gets significantly easier!
Do you know your benefits from your features? Do you want help shaping the perception of your business? Are you keen to learn how to get inside your clients shoes so you can speak to them in a way that really resonates?
The Empowered Branding Program can help. Click here to find out more.